Gluten Free Beer information and resources

Thursday 23 August 2007

Gluten Free Beer - Home Brewing Secrets

I'm constantly learning about the latest gluten free beer brewing techniques and have found a great resource that may be useful to you.

The site sillyyak.com :-) has great information about everything to do with home brewing the "gluten free way!".

It states on the site that it is not as simple as brewing from a kit where everything is basically prepared for you. And goes on to say:

"To brew gluten free beer, you start with gluten free malt, the malt has to be crushed, this is added to water, heated and kept at a number of different temperatures to convert the starches in the malt to sugars, then filtered, boiled with hops, and then fermented."


I hope you found this article interesting.

3 comments:

bluffwallace said...

The easiest way to brew gluten free beer is this:
use "White Sorghum extract-GF" this is made by briess (www.briess.com) and sold by Northern Brewer (www.northernbrewer.com)-- it is inexpensive---I paid $11.
There are easy instructions for this on their website. It is just as easy as using some barley extract except the sorghum extract is gluten free. this sorghum extract is made to be used by itself but will accept any additives. I added 1 lb of dark roasted buckwheat (the burkitt mills has gluten free buckwheat)for flavor and color and added 1/4 cup of blackstrap molasses (Brer Rabbit is gluten free), then I added my choice of hops and the beer was excellent. Here is my recipe:
Sorghum extract (6lbs)
1 lb dark roasted buckwheat (unmalted)
1 tsp irish moss
1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup buckwheat flour (for thickness and texture)

Brad said...

Thank you or posting this recipe. Did you treat the dark roasted buckwheat as a specialty grain? Did you crack it, or just leave it the way you bought it?

By the way, I've heard a bunch of good things about toasting dark whole grain rice and using that as specialty grain, but haven't tried it myself.

bluffwallace said...

I roasted the buckwheat at 400 degrees for 1/2 - 2 hrs. cooled it. put it in paper bag for 1-2 weeks. then I crushed it with a rolling pin. ( you can carefully use a coffee grinder as well.) I have successfully also used millet grain and also Quinoa grain and they worked. good luck.